Also known as 1,4-dicholorobeneze. It may be found in solid (block) and gel air fresheners, deodorizers, toilet cleaners and deodorant blocks, fumigant insecticides and mothballs. Its vapors are toxic to insects and fungi.

Lab animals tested that were repeatedly exposed developed eye irritation, marked tremors, weakness, loss of weight; some developed kidney and liver damage and some even died. In humans, acute (short term) symptoms of exposure have been reported to be nausea, vomiting, dizziness, fatigue, headaches, breathing problems, lethargy, slurred speech, and irritation to the eyes, nose and throat. Chronic (long term) symptoms are reported as ataxia, reduced reflexes, weakness in extremities, and loss of coordination

There have been reported cases of more severe reactions: In one case, a person with only moderate exposure complained of severe headache, periorbital swelling, and profuse rhinitis, which subsided 24 hours after cessation of exposure. In the other case, four persons who had more prolonged exposure developed anorexia, nausea, vomiting, weight loss, and hepatic necrosis with jaundice; two died and another developed cirrhosis.

The DHHS, the EPA and IARC have declared Paradichlorobenzene to be a PROBABLE HUMAN CARCINOGEN.