Also known as aldehyde, morbicid acid, quaternium-15 or formalin to name a few. International production was over 46 billion pounds in 2004, according to the IARC. Formaldehyde is used in particleboard, plywood, and fiberboard; glues and adhesives; permanent-press fabrics; paper product coatings; and certain insulation materials. In addition, formaldehyde is commonly used as an industrial fungicide, germicide, and disinfectant. Formaldehyde is used as a disinfectant and biocide since it kills most bacteria and fungi.
Animal studies have shown just inhalation of formaldehyde in mice and rats resulted in cancer. Animal tests in rats and rabbits have shown formaldehyde to have high acute toxicity from inhalation, ingestion, and dermal exposure.
Exposure can be made by inhaling air containing formaldehyde. It can be made through skin contact or ingestion from the liquid, Formalin. Even breathing low levels of formaldehyde can cause symptoms of burning and watering eyes and coughing. Higher levels of inhalation exposure will produce symptoms of burning of the nose and throat, coughing and difficulty breathing. It may result in airway and lung damage. If ingested, formaldehyde will cause severe pain, vomiting, and diarrhea, and may result in death. Skin exposure can cause irritation, rashes, buns and blistering. Formaldehyde can enter the bloodstream through dermal contact.
Formaldehyde is a KNOWN HUMAN CARCINOGEN!